Wednesday, March 27, 2013

PS and PSP Comparison Experiments: Post 5

I cheated.  All of these were made in both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro.

I intended to make some in both programs, but I found myself continually switching from one to the other for various effects and features.

Shape collages are my absolute favorite kind of resource to make--at least in Paint Shop Pro.  I had a hard time getting the hang of them in Photoshop, but I think that once I've done it a few more times, I will enjoy it better.

Main points:

Clipping masks and selection masks make it much easier to add effects where you want them in Photoshop.  Working with layer masks in Paint Shop Pro is possible.  The "mask from image" feature will accomplish the same things.  It's more cumbersome and there's not as much flexibility.

Paint Shop Pro has a better variety of custom shapes and artistic effects--although Photoshop users will argue that it lacks some obvious and essential ones for this kind of design.  I agree.

I found that adjustments to color and tone were easier to accomplish in Photoshop.  Again, PSP has most of these features are available in Paint Shop Pro, but they're harder to work with.   (X5 seems to be lacking a color balance tool, but that's existed in earlier versions and I would guess that it's just been re-named? I've gotten by with using PSP 8 for that or by using color layers.  That's not going to be as effective for photo retouching, but it's perfectly fine for these.)

The last two textures were made from this guide.  It's a little different from the way I normally make these, but it was written for Photoshop, so I decided to try it out.

Brushes used were by me, colorburned.com, thinkdesignblog.com or designerfied.com. Pixel patterns are by Roula33 @ Deviantart.





RBF_PS-PSP_collage_2e

RBF_PS-PSP_collage3q

RBF_PS-PSP_collage1q

RBF_PS-PSP_collage2q

The rest of what I have in mind for these comparisons are photomanipulation or photo montage related. If you have any other things you'd like to see, feel free to let me know via comment or email.

No comments:

Post a Comment