Thursday, March 21, 2013

PSP and PS Comparison Works: Post 2

Here's Part 2 of my ongoing feature comparison between PSP and Photoshop. It's a
little different because the results have nothing in common.

RBF_PS-PSP_011

RBF_PS-PSP_010_colorswirl

The first texture is extremely high res (6000x6000 px). Photoshop is the hands-down winner when working with resolutions like that. Most of the brushes I used for texture #1 were created in CS4, I believe--the max size was 2500 px. Two sets were created in CS6. They were around 4600- 4800 px, which is a little smaller than the max brush size allowed in CS6.

I gave an honest try, for about an hour, working in Paint Shop Pro to create a similar design. Unfortunately, the max brush size there is 999 px, which turned a fun design into something tedious and annoying. I finally gave up.

This may not be a deal breaker for you if you regularly work on web-based designs or digital scrapbooking. There's really nothing that you'd need to work on such a large canvas for. 999x999 is adequate for most of those projects.

But I was really looking forward to getting to use some of my photoshop brushes at a higher resolution--which you may need to do when designing for print. I also wanted to try out some of the more advanced brush settings in Photoshop.

I was pretty impressed by those. This texture was a blast to make. One shortcoming in the PS brush capabilities is that I can't find a way to be able to paint with gradients, which can be done in PSP quite easily. It may be there and I just don't know yet. It's only my third day of working with Photoshop.

That's where the second texture came from. And, once I was finished painting with my gradients in Paint Shop Pro for texture number 2, I couldn't find a way to duplicate the effects I added. I spent a while working with Photoshop's twirl and radial blur filters, but the results weren't the same.

So, it looks like the two programs are still tied; in some cases, Photoshop is better for the task, and in other cases, Paint Shop Pro outshines it.




No comments:

Post a Comment